A permit must be obtained from the Rye Fire Department in order to have open burning on any property. The permit to kindle fire is only valid for one day, and the permit can only be obtained from the fire department on the same date of the kindled burn.

Permits are only issued to Rye residents and property owners. Permittee must be 18 years of age or older.

You can burn 7 days a week, pending it is not a restricted burning day. Restricted burning time is 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., unless it is steadily raining or significant snow cover at the site of the burn. If rain stops, permittee must extinguish the fire immediately.

Permits may be rescinded or not issued if weather is unfavorable or State declaration of a ban on open burning is in effect. Unfavorable weather conditions shall be determined by the Rye Fire Rescue and/or State Forest Fire Warden.

Materials being burned shall be at least 50 feet from any structure, highway or right of way (excluding cooking fires).

No accelerants, tires, or tubes are to be used in the material being burned.

All open fires must be constantly attended until the fire is completely extinguished. (A buried fire is NOT considered extinguished). 'Completely extinguished' means: to be extinguished so that it emits no smoke, heat or flames. Permittee must have proper suppression equipment to maintain control of the fire at all times.

Incinerator permits will not be allowed, per NH RSA 125-N.

If permitted fires are declared a nuisance by the local Forest Fire Warden or designee, the fire shall be extinguished. Also if any complaints are received due to the kindled fire, the permit may be suspended and the fire ordered extinguished.

Permissible Material To Be Burned

Materials you wish to burn must be clean, ordinary combustibles. They include untreated wood, leaves and brush less than 5 inches in diameter, campfire wood and charcoal, on-premises burning for frost prevention, agricultural, forestry, or wildlife habitat improvement,

Non-Permissible Material

Materials you can’t burn include household trash, packaging materials, coated or laminated papers, painted or treated wood, coated or treated cardboard, animal, vegetable or kitchen waste, plastics, rubber, oily rags, tires, tubes, and foam. If you are unsure as to what you can and cannot burn, please contact either fire station with your question

Rubber, plastics, Styrofoam, petroleum-based products, asphalt shingles, brush larger than 5 inches in diameter, etc.

Demolition materials (without approval of the NH Dept. of Environmental Services, NH Dept of Resources and Economic Development, and the Town of Rye Fire Rescue and Forest Fire Warden).