A permit must be obtained from the Rye Fire Department in order to have open burning on any property. The permit to kindle fire is only valid for one day, and the permit can only be obtained from the fire department on the same date of the kindled burn.

Permits are only issued to Rye residents and property owners. Permitee must be 18 years of age or older.

No burning allowed between the hours of 9am and 5pm unless actively raining or significant snow cover at the site of the burn. If rain stops, permitee must extinguish the fire immediately.

Permits may be rescinded or not issued if weather is unfavorable or State declaration of a ban on open burning is in effect. Unfavorable weather conditions shall be determined by the Rye and/or State Forest Fire Warden.

Materials being burned shall be at least 50 feet from any structure, highway or right of way (excluding cooking fires).

No accelerants, tires, or tubes are to be used in the material being burned.

All open fires must be constantly attended until the fire is completely extinguished. (A buried fire is NOT considered extinguished). 'Completely extinguished' means: to be extinguished so that it emits no smoke, heat or flames. Permitee must have proper suppression equipment to maintain control of the fire at all times.

Incinerator permits will not be allowed, per NH RSA 125-N.

If permitted fires are declared a nuisance by the local Forest Fire Warden or designee, the fire shall be extinguished. Also if any complaints are received due to the kindled fire, the permit may be suspended and the fire ordered extinguished.

Permissible Material To Be Burned

Brush - Defined to mean tree-tops, limbs, saplings, and tree cuttings (to include attached leaves) which are 5 inches in diameter or less.

Untreated Wood - Defined to mean any timber, board, or sawn dimensional lumber which has not been painted, treated, coated, or preserved. This does not include manufactured building material, such as plywood or waferboard.

Non-Permissible Material

Treated wood, painted wood, tires, rubber, plastics, Styrofoam, petroleum-based products, asphalt shingles, brush larger than 5 inches in diameter, etc.

Demolition materials (without approval of the NH Dept. of Environmental Services, NH Dept of Resources and Economic Development, and the Town of Rye Fire Department and Forest Fire Warden).


Cooking fires shall be a small fire suitable for cooking purposes used in connection to a camp, picnic or meal purposes and does not include the burning of household rubbish, or large amounts of brush or other flammable material.

If fire escapes from control, permitee may be held liable for:

  1. Payment of damage to property of another;
  2. Payment of suppression costs to the Town of Rye and/or assisting fire department(s);
  3. Prosecution for failure to comply with regulations;
  4. Fines from the State of NH and/or the Town of Rye.


No person shall build a fire on any sand area of any beach. Only after obtaining a permit, a fire may be kindled on the rock areas of the beach. Beach fire permits will only be issued on the day of the fire and may not be issued after 9pm. Permits are valid from 5pm to midnight. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older, and be a Rye resident or property owner. Permit holder must remain with the fire for it's duration. All ash and debris left after the kindled fire must be disposed of properly once completely extinguished. See the beach page for other restrictions.

NH Forests and Lands Fire Permits Brochure